With Chronic DevTeam’s permission, the iPhone DevTeam incorporated their 4.2.1 “feedface” untether into today’s PwnageTool 4.2. This means iPhone unlockers can safely restore to a custom 4.2.1 pre-jailbroken IPSW and retain their current baseband and unlock.
PwnageTool 4.2.1 supports all the other 4.2.1 devices other than iPod touch 2G:
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- AppleTV 2G
PwnageTool also includes two very recent improvements to the 4.2.1 JB: iBooks was just fixed by @comex and @pushfix last night so that it works as intended on DRMed books, and the wifi problem on AppleTV 2G was fixed by @nitotv, @DHowett, and @saurik. Both of these fixes will also be available in upcoming Cydia package updates, so if you’re already jailbroken you can wait for those updates rather than restore and jailbreak again.
NOTE: tutorial below was made using an older version of PwnageTool. The process remains the same…
How to do it:
1. Load iTunes and sync your iDevice so you can backup.
2. Download and load PwnageTool 4.2. You will get a pop-up window, click OK
3. Click on expert mode button, select your device and click on the blue arrow to continue.
4. In the next window, you will need to select the original firmware for your device. Click on Browse for IPSW and then click on the blue arrow…
5. In the next window select “General” and lets start customizing the firmware
5.1. In the next screen adjust the size of the partition or leave as it is and click on continue.
NOTE: Deselect Activate if you have an iPhone legitimately activated on an official carrier.
NOTE: You may need to increase the size of the root partition slightly. My first attempt failed at creating the IPSW until I increased the size to about 695 MB.
5.2 In the next screen you can add repositories and install any application that you want so when you restore your iDevice it will already be full of everything you need. To do this, first go to “Manage Sources” and add all the sources that you want. Now go to the “Download Packages” tab, refresh the list and select the apps that you want to be install and click on “Add to queue”. All the apps will be displayed in the “Select Packages” tab. Make sure everything is right and than click on the blue arrow to continue
5.3 In the next window you have the option to install Cydia or not. We suggest you do….
6 Now select “Build” and than click on the blue arrow to continue and start creating your custom firmware
6.1 Now you will be asked where you want to save the custom firmware. Choose your path and click on Save
7. Now wait until the custom firmware is built and saved on your computer
8. Now it’s time to put the iOS device into DFU mode. Connect your device to your computer turned ON and follow the steps on the screen
10. Once you are into DFU mode, open iTunes ( it will recognize a device in recovery mode ) , alt+restore and browse for the custom FW you just created. Wait for the restore
11. That’s it you’re done!
12. If you preserved the baseband you can install ulran0w via Cydia.