Forgot to download the latest episode of one of your favorite podcasts before leaving the big bandwidth of Wi-Fi and curious how to get your fix over 3G? Well, iPhoneMY makes sure our iPhone Live! and iPad Live! podcasts are under 20MB so you can download them over 3G anyway, but for longer podcasts you don’t have worry either — you can stream them. We’ll show you how after the break!
Don’t ask us why — we chalk it up to carrier craziness — but even though you can’t download over 20MB on 3G you can stream as much data as your cap (or lack of cap!) allows. Here’s how to stream on iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad:
- Launch iTunes app
- Tap Search
- Type in some keywords for the podcast you want
- Tap the one you want
- Find the episode you want and tap the title (not the Free button!)
That’s it, the QuickTime X player will launch and it will start streaming your podcast. It will even work in the background if you change apps, and you can access the controls as well:
- Double click the Home button to bring up the Fast App Switcher
- Swipe from left to right to get to the music control widgets
- Tap the control you want, adjust volume, or tap the iTunes icon to jump back to the app
So there you have it, podcasts on the go for free. When/if you’re ready to graduate you can try out a podcatcher app. But if you just need something in case of a commute or road-trip emergency, iTunes has got you covered.
Have any other podcast tips, let us know in the comments!