A couple of days ago, we told you that nitoTV is the first 3rd party app for the new AppleTV 2G and today nitoTV tweeted a new repository from which you can grab the first GUI-based AppleTV2 app (technically a Lowtide plugin), which currently has weather and RSS functionality.
To install the app on your AppleTV follow the following steps:
- Use PwnageTool to create a custom AppleTV firmware with OpenSSH and apt-get pre-installed, and use it to jailbreak your device.
- Once jailbroken , open Terminal and SSH into it ( ssh root@your-ip-address ). Type in the password ( alpine )
- Type “passwd” and enter a new password (if you haven’t already)
- Type: echo “deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
- Type: apt-get update
- Type: apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV
- Type: killall Lowtide
- After everything is done, unplug and plug it back in, wait for your AppleTV to reboot