Great news from the iPhone
DevTeam this morning… they’ve updated redsn0w to untethered jailbreak iOS
4.3.3. Today’s redsn0w incorporates @i0n1c’s port to 4.3.3 (it’s ironic that such a long-lasting untether doesn’t even have an official name!). It also of course uses geohot’s limera1n bootrom exploit to inject the jailbreak.
The 4.3.3 untether works on all devices that actually support 4.3.3 except for the iPad2
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- AppleTV2G (v4.3 8F202)
As always, ultrasn0w unlockers should stay away from redsn0w and only update their firmware through a custom IPSW.
NOTES FOR UNLOCKERS:
redsn0w will allow you to update your iPhone’s ( 3G/3Gs) baseband to 06.15 ( iPad baseband ) . This is only necessary if you are on baseband 05.14, 05.15 or higher and you want to unlock. This is NOT necessary for the jailbreaking process. Also please read ( twice if you need to ) the notes below and understand the CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
- There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
- If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
- Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware(it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocking, you should already be doing that).
Certainly don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to! Only do this if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks.
NOTE: the below tutorial uses screenshots from our previous redsn0w tutorial. Don’t worry about it, the necessary adjustments have been made and the process is exactly the same.
1. Download redsn0w and unzip it. Also download iOS 4.3.3 appropriate for your device
2. Connect your device to iTunes, select your device from the sidebar on the left and Alt+click ( Mac ) or Shift+click ( Windows ) on restore. Browse for iOS 4.2.3 that you just downloaded and restore your device ( unlockers be careful )
3. After you restore your device, load redsn0w, click the browse button and select the same 4.3.3 .ipsw that you used to restore your device.
4. Wait for redsn0w to verify the .ipsw and click Next
5. Wait a few seconds for redsn0w to prepare the jailbreaking data
6. In the next window select the option you like. MAKE SURE Cydia is selected and click Next
NOTE Bootlogo rules: RGB or Grayscale format with Alpha channel and dimension below 320×480.
NOTE if you choose to update your iPhone’s baseband to 06.15 you will be prompted with this message ( please make sure you understand the consequences – notes above )
7. Plug-in your device, turn it off and click on Next
8. Now you will have to put your device in DFU mode. redsn0w will guide you through it…
9. Now, your device will reboot. The rest of the process will take place on your device. Wait for redsn0w to prompt you that it’s done, and click on Finish
10. That’s it. Enjoy!