The iPhone DevTeam just updated RedSn0w to v0.9.6 beta to jailbreak iOS 4.1 and 4.0 on iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G. t uses the same pwnage2 DFU-mode exploit that we’ve been using since the 2.x days. It does not include the SHAtter exploit developed by pod2g. Nothing new is revealed to Apple with this jailbreak.
NOTE: IF you need to unlock your iPhone DO NOT use this tool. That’s because to use redsn0w at 4.1, you need to already have updated to official 4.1 from Apple. If you do that, you lose the ultrasn0w unlock (possible forever).
NOTE: if you have an “MC” model of the ipt2g, your jailbreak will be tethered…sorry! (Consider rolling back to a FW supported by jailbreakme.com or spiritjb.com)
NOTE: Windows version coming soon…
Redsn0w 0.9.6 beta supports:
- iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G only (for now)
- Mac OS X x86 only (for now)
- 4.1 or 4.0 firwmare from Apple
How to use:
If you’ve already updated your device to 4.1 or 4.0, the next steps are:
- Launch the beta redsn0w 0.9.6b1
- Select your stock 4.1 or 4.0 ipsw (you’ve already used this to update your device to 4.0)
- Select “Install Cydia” and click “Next”. Use DFU mode to install the jailbreak.
NOTE: If you choose to “Enable battery percentage”, you actually toggle that off and on via Settings->General->Usage