Developer @sbingner (author of TetherMe) has made some excellent progress devising a new hactivation method that kills two birds with one stone for all you ultrasn0w unlockers. His tool, SAM ( Subscriber Artificial Module ) tricks your iPhone and iTunes into creating legitimate activation tickets even though you’re unlocked with ultrasn0w. This means you get the full benefit of push applications, and your battery life increases substantially.
To help make it easier to try out sbingner’s tool, the iPhone DevTeam updated redsn0w to include a new “Deactivate” option for the 3G and 3GS. Let’s see how to get SAM and use the new redsn0w:
1. Load Cydia and add the following source: http://repo.bingner.com
2. Install SAM and SAM and SAMPrefs
3. You will need to revert to a stock lockdownd for SAM to function. iPhone 3G and 3Gs users, download redsn0w 0.9.6b6:
NOTE: Windows 7 and Vista users, please run redsn0w as Administrator in “XP Compatiblity Mode”
5. Load redsn0w and go through with the process until you get to the ‘options’ window. Deselect everything, and select just ‘Deactivate’.
6. Now go through with the rest of the process. If you don’t know how to use redsn0w.
7. Now, on your iPhone, go to Settings>SAM> and turn on ‘De-Activate iPhone’
8. Now, activate your iPhone through iTunes. With the phone plugged-in, load iTunes, and wait a couple of seconds until it gets activated.
NOTE: If iTunes does not automatically recognize your operator, you must manually select it and click on SIMID
9. This method works for every other unlocked iPhone on iOS 3.0 and above. Make sure you install SAM and SAMPref and OpenSSH, and then open up a terminal shell and type:
- ssh email@example.com
10. This might be just on my end, because even if I am using ultrasn0w to unlock, my iPhone is activated using a stock SIM card. You might get a SIM Failure. If that happens, try to fix it by ‘playing’ with the activation methods in Settings>SAM> . If you can’t get it to work, contact Sam Bingner or Sherif Hashim and ask for support. I don’t think we can help. Sorry…